25 September 2013

Sydney, Day Two


After our early start, walking and eating our way around the place on Monday we ended up pretty much crashing in the late afternoon, popping out briefly in the evening for a short walk, nondescript dinner snack, coffee and relatively early night.

Then it was up early the next morning for a bit of 'touristing'

... awkward selfies ...


... and uncomfortable poses in front of landmarks included ...


We wandered around and through the Opera House, almost buying a ticket to an opera on the way (The Whitlams had played only a few days before ... that would have been a no-brainer!).


After a little more wandering we headed back to our room to get all fancied up and ready for our lunch at ... drum roll please ...


When I had rung weeks earlier to make a dinner booking I was told they could fit us in in November (Friday to Sunday dinners were booked out until February)!


Um, yeah, we were there for less than three days so I booked lunch instead.


Somehow we were lucky enough to get a table in the circular room at the end, an almost full circle of glass with views of the Harbour.


Bridge out one side ...



... and Opera House out the other.



As we had been wandering around the day before we spotted the monstrously large P&O Cruise Ship parked at the Terminal and were concerned that it would be blocking our view. Thankfully it left later that afternoon and the only thing interrupting our view was other diners ... and most of them cleared out before we had finished.


We were served a delicious starter of potato mash and oxtail soup. I can't even begin to explain how delicious this was ... possibly one of the best things of the day.


No photos of our entree sorry, they were half finished before either of us even thought to snap a pic! The Sparky couldn't go past the crab consume after reading several comments about it being a signature dish. I went for the beetroot salad, mostly because everything else had seafood in it.


For round two The Sparky continued with the 'food he doesn't normally eat' decision and got himself squab and abalone.


While I went for a dish that isn't on the current menu ... should have paid more attention at the time! I do remember that it came with a vegetarian option but I decided to take a risk and get the option with partridge.

Short version ... I should have gone with my gut instincts. Everything about this dish was absolutely delicious, except the partridge which was far too strong for me and ended up giving me a stomach ache.


Round three ... The Sparky's 'Poached King George Whiting,
scallop velvet, swimmer crab broth, bean sprouts and blossoms' (I think) 


... and my 'Roasted milk fed lamb,
aromatic house made crème fraîche, Styrian pumpkin seed oil, salty ice plant, capers, nasturtiums'. The Sparky ended up having to finish this off for me. Yes, it was delicious but with my stomach already a little upset the red meat was just too strong for me.


Finally, we wound up with dessert.

The Sparky was torn between the Chocolate Cake and the signature Snow Egg but in the end decided he couldn't leave without trying the 'Jackfruit Snow Egg'.


Me on the other hand, I couldn't go past the 'Jersey cream, pedro ximenez
salted caramel, prune, confetti'. Not so pretty but my goodness it was delicious!


We were enjoying ourselves so much we ended up ordering coffee and petite fours in order to prolong the experience.

Oh, and we had to finish with one more awkward selfie!




2 comments:

  1. Hah, love the 'awkward selfies!' Cuties:)

    Looks like an incredible meal, and my what large bowl plates they give you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just divine, well worth the effort. The plates were actually a little awkward when we needed a knife and fork but they certainly looked good.

      Delete