18 April 2013

This is not the greatest song in the world ...


I'm not a food blogger. I just want to make sure that that's out there right up front. Although I have been known to photograph food while we're on holiday, pulling my camera out at a cafe or restaurant is not something I'm likely to do regularly. Neither is taking progress photos of a meal that I'm cooking ... I tend to be concentrating on what I'm doing for starters.

I realise that that may sound a little hypocritical given the number of food blogs that I read, but it's just not me. I like reading it but I don't like doing it.

That said, this is a blog about my life and food is definitely a big part of my life. I like cooking it, I like eating it and I like reading about it. I get a lot of inspiration from the foodie blogs that I read and have been known to comment that I'll be trying out their recipes one day.

One such comment elicited a challenge from the talented Ms I-Hua (yes, she of the fabulous orange cups) to not only try her recipe but to blog about it ... um, yeah.

This however is not Ms I-Hua's Ayam Goreng Hebat ... this is just a tribute*.

I started with one large chicken breast, chopped and marindated for the day in coconut milk, chopped chilli (fresh from the garden!), tumeric powder and salt.

The Sparky decided that rinsing the marinade off the chicken was a waste of marinade and instead tried to flick it off ... resulting in chicken goopy marinade landing on his face, so not a method either of us would recommend!

I mixed the flour coating to recipe, quartered because of the smaller amount of chicken, coated the chicken as directed (flour mix, buttermilk, flour mix) and then ... placed it in a baking dish. I sorry, but you won't find me deep frying at home, I love the results but not the method.

  
Baking turned out to be a pretty good way of cooking this though ... oh.my.goodness.

Now, I had every intention of making the coconut rice as well (and still plan to at some stage). The Sparky however had a craving for hot chips so while the chicken was baking he popped out and picked up chips and salad, giving us a delicious, simple, delicious Sunday night dinner.


Did I mention it was delicious? We will definitely be having this one again ... with coconut rice and peanuts and all the trimmings next time! 


*points if you get the reference

11 comments:

  1. yuuuuuum! That Ms I-Hua is pretty damn good :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am now feeling even more inspired to try her recipes!

      Delete
  2. I had this recipe of hers bookmarked because it looked so good but I'm also scared of deep frying so your idea of baking sounds great. I might give your version a go now! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on the look of the photos I'd say the deep fried version has more of a crunch to the coating ... but the flavours are still divine!

      Delete
    2. It still sounds delicious! Can I ask what temperature you cooked the chicken at? :)

      Delete
    3. Of course ... I baked this lot at 180 in a fan forced oven but I have been wondering if turning it up to 210 for the last 15 minutes or so would help with the crispness.

      Delete
    4. Thanks Keren! I have the chicken marinating in the fridge at the moment :)

      Delete
  3. Mmm, coconut rice! Mmmmm, interesting marinated baked chicken things! Look at you, food blog city here you come:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I must give the coconut rice a try. Dunno about food blog city but I did come home that night and photograph a meal in progress ... right after saying I'd probably never do it! You may or may not see that one soon :)

      Delete
  4. Looks like you did a great job :) this looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, of course I can't take the credit for this one but it certainly tasted amazing.

      Delete